Sunday, July 26, 2009

I CAN do windows!!!!

I know this may seem silly, but I hate doing windows/mirrors because no matter how hard I try I can't get them clean!! What is my deal???? I know it may sound dumb, but it has always made me feel like a bad housekeeper!!! Well, the other day I was helping clean a house while the family was moving. I had already cleaned the bathroom mirrors when another lady came in to help me. She had her own cleaning business at one point in her life and she started cleaning the mirrors I had already cleaned! I must have looked so pathetic as I hung my head low and said, "I already cleaned those mirrors. I am just really bad at it!" She was very kind and just looked and me and said, "It's not you, it the product!" Is there maybe hope for me yet? She uses a strong paper towel that doesn't leave lot's of fibers. Her favorite is Brawny. Then she said that I needed to use Windex , it's the only thing she has found that works well! (I always use the cheapest I can find) So I went down and cleaned the french doors and Tada!!!! They looked beautiful! I was soooo excited that I stopped at the store on my way home to get paper towels and Windex. Now, please don't tell me I am the only one to do things like this, but when I got home, I purchased everything I needed, BUT the Windex! Arghh! So I remembered an enrichment night years ago and found a similar recipe for making my own window cleaner and thought I would give it a try! Guess what? I LOVE it!!!! No streaks!! My windows shine! Birds are flying into my windows! I feel almost like a normal person!! So I thought I would post the recipe. You can see it on my spray bottle and that is for a small mix or you can follow this for a gallon:
2 cups rubbing alcohol
1/2 cup ammonia
1 tsp dish detergent
Then fill the rest of the gallon with water!
I don't love working with ammonia, but I love having clean windows! So I would suggest wearing a mask. It is watered down enough that you really don't smell it much when you clean.

1 comment:

Katie staten said...

I use vinegar and water and rub it off with newpaper. Your hands will be black, but your windows will be amazing!