Tuesday, December 16, 2008

New Christmas Tradition

I started a new tradition this year. We try to have our living room have only nativities and the true meaning of Christmas in it. My tree has stars and nativities on it and I wanted to add a little more. Well, years ago my mom taught a lesson on all of the different names of Christ - I loved it! She wrote (not typed!) all of the different names the Savior is known by, what that name means and a list of scriptures with that name. I think that I really liked it because it really illustrates to me all of the things that the Savior has done for us. So I bought these round balls at the dollar store - $2 total. Then I bought a gold paint pen-on sale at Hobby Lobby and I wrote on them some of my favorite names. Then I attached a bow on to dress it up! Then came a little tag to say why he is called this name and on the back a list of scriptures that you can find the name in! We had the girls each take turns reading them while they put them on the tree. It was fun to hear some of their favorite names and why. I made 20 and could do at least another 20! A few of my favorites are friend, good shepherd, advocate, potter and king! It is also away that I feel like my mom is a part of the holiday - she is just the sweetest! I'll look forward to putting them up next year and think that we will pick one ornament each night and look up the scriptures.

6 comments:

Jennie and Adam said...

I love that idea and I may have to steal it!

AKA Rosa said...

Hey . . . This is great! I want to use some of it on Christmas Eve. I called but you were gone. Can you email me the names and the scriptures??

Katie staten said...

What a great idea. That would be a good present too. Yeah, I agree with Lori, now you'll have to blog all the names with corresponding scriptures.

Jodi Gallagher said...

What a great idea Val!

Rebecca said...

This is a great tradition!

David said...

Amen and Ditto! I have been looking for a way to bring the Savior into the season! What a beautiful idea!