Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A Good-bye Visit

I really thought when I first came to visit that I was just doing that! My sisters and I were going to laugh and we were sure that this would just perk my mother right up!! The first day that we were there my mom was moving slow and needed help, but she perked up as the day went on. She made my sister Lori and I laugh really hard and she was even was able to get up and walk around! She slept really well and my sister and I talked about how good the morning would be. Well, my mom had a hard time getting up and she really couldn't swallow. The hospice workers came in later that day and told us that she was in the first stages of dying. My heart broke! I wanted to yell and cry, not my mommy!! Then I reflected on a phone call that I had with her 2 weeks earlier. My mom knew that she was dying and called us all to let us know that she has had a good life and that she didn't want us to be sad when she passed away! She shared her testimony with us and wanted us to make sure that all of the grandchildren knew of her testimony! I love this woman!! My dad has been gone for 9 1/2 years now and my mom has missed him so very much!! When I thought of me I didn't want my mom to go!! When I thought of her, I knew I wanted her to be pain free, she has been in pain so long! I knew how much mom and dad love each other and I knew that they could begin their NEW mission together! My mom loved the Savior and I knew how much she longed to with him!! What wonderful reunions!! I knew I had to let go, I really didn't have a choice! I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ and for the knowledge of his eternal plan for us!

The chaplain from hospice came and sang to my mother. He has been visiting her for over a year now and my mom would love to hear him come and sing. He brought so much peace and love with him! He thinks so highly of my mom and it was wonderful to listen to him and to get to know him. I was amazed as I meet the many people that had been working with my mother. They all had a story, they all loved my mom, they all had their loves touched by mom! I was speaking with one of the workers and he mentioned that he can see little pieces of my mom in each of the children. I told him that was a great compliment and that it was my goal to be just like my mom someday!! He looked at me and smiled and said, "You just set the bar very high! Your mom was one of the sweetest ladies I have ever met!" That she was!! The bar is very high, but I will try!



I was grateful to be with my sweet sisters at this time!!

My mom was in a deep sleeping state for a couple of days. She opened her eyes and talked a little with us for a couple of hours. This was a gift for us, as she told us sweet messages of love! Then she closed her eyes again. I slept in her room beside her holding her hand and these are precious memories to me! This is my little nephew Max - he lived fairly close by and loved to have sleepovers with grandma! He was tender in showing his love for grandma

My mom LOVED it when her daughters would sing together! I know that this is what helped me to develop my testimony! My mom had this book on her shelf and we would sing together or take turns singing to my mom! This brought so much peace to me!!

It was time for me to go back home - leaving was hard! I told my mom good- bye, hugged her and held her hand!

My sweet mother returned back home to her Heavenly Father the next morning! (May 18)

6 comments:

Jennie and Adam said...

Thank you for sharing these beautiful memories. Know that I am thinking of you--you are wonderful so it comes as no surprise that you have a wonderful mom!

David said...

What a wonderful blessing to spend that last week of your mom's life with her and your sisters!! What treasured memories.

AKA Rosa said...

Okay.... I did okay till this post. What a precious time this was for us. Hard as it was I would never trade such a heavenly experience. I love the picture of Max and Kathy. It all brings back wonderfully difficult memories. I am so glad that you were there with me. I love you Balerie!!!

The Nielsens said...

I am so glad that you got to spend that time with her. I know it meant a lot to have her daughters there by her side!

Jodi Gallagher said...

I'm so glad you got to spend that week with your mom and sisters. What a blessing! I love the pics. Thanks for sharing Val, Sure do love you!

Jess said...

Oh Val, my heart breaks for you and your entire family. I am glad you were able to go and be with your Mom, that you had a chance to say goodbye. These posts are all very heartwarming and hard. I know that you loved your Mom and Dad so very much. You are amazing friend and I know that they are watching over you. I love you and am thinking about you.