Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Homade Laundry Soap

Okay, So now you will really worry about me being bored! I read on a blog about making homemade laundry soap and thought I would give it a try! Why? Well, it is a lot cheaper! I made 5 gallons for about $3.50!! I have been using it for a few weeks to see if I really like it beofre blogging about it. Well, I really like it! I still use Snuggle liquid fabric softener, so my clothes smell better than ever! I think with out competing between 2 strong scents it even smells better! This a picture of all of the ingredients. I use an old bottle to put the soap in and you just shake it a little before you use it!

This recipe came from Frugal Find listed on my blogs! Thanks

Homemade Laundry Soap
Ingredients: 1 bar fels naptha, grated
1 cup arm & hammer super washing soda laundry detergent (a laundry booster)
1/2 cup borax hot water

Directions: 1. Place grated soap in a pot.
2. Cover with water and simmer over medium heat until all soap is melted, stirring occasionally.
3. Pour into 5 gallon bucket.
4. Add washing soda and borax.
5. Add enough hot water to fill the bucket.
6. Stir (I use a long measuring stick, but any long stick will work).
7. Let sit overnight to gel.
8. Use 1 cup per load.
9. (You can pour this into old detergent containers or leave in the bucket. Please cover with a lid if leaving in the bucket to protect children and pets.). This costs pennies per load and works great!! Add a little white vinegar to the load as fabric softener.

11 comments:

Katie staten said...

I wanted to know how it worked before I tried it. Was it worth the effort then?

Katie staten said...

We should do a laundry soap making party, because don't you pretty much have to dedicate a grater and a pot to the soap? We could have some clean fun. har har.

Sonja said...

I'm going to have to try this. Thanks for the idea.

AKA Rosa said...

Hummmm I am going to have to think long and hard about that one!!

val m said...

Katie,
I bought a grater for it at the $1 store! The soap came right out of the pan - but we could still make it a party!

Kasey said...

Thanks for the directions!! I want to come to the laundry soap party!!!

Jodi Gallagher said...

Wow you are a good wife and mama! Sounds like you like it so thats awesome!

Jess said...

I have been wanting to try this, but was to lazy to look for a recipe. I am so excited thanks... also, I LOVE vinegar, I use it every load now... it is great at taking the smell out of stinky stuff... running clothes, smelly dish rags, etc!

averett's said...

I have been wanting to try this was was too chicken! You got me thinking and I am definetly going to try it! Thanks for the recommendation!

Debbie said...

I am so doing this, I love it!

Katie staten said...

Where are you Valerie?